Tuesday, August 26, 2008

School Days

When we decided to start this blog, the kids were already in school for the year. Reading Danielle's blog made me reminisce about meet the teacher night and the first day of school. We moved over the summer, so the boys started a new school this year. Joshua is in third grade and Jacob is in first. I am hoping this will be the last school change. Joshua started kindergarten in Keller, Texas. We moved to Grove City, Ohio before he finished kindergarten. He completed first grade and started second and Jacob started kindergarten before we moved to Madison, Mississippi. They finished the year in Madison, and we moved to Florence over the summer. I never dreamed we would live such a nomadic lifestyle. Anyway, we are confident that this is where we will be long term. Unless of course, God leads us down a new path. I am praying that we stay put though. I want my kids to have the sense of community that can only be found when you stay long enough to put down roots and make it a home.


Anyway, back to this year. Meet the teacher night was a bit chaotic. The school has very limited parking and it was packed. Luckily we arrived early and left as quick as we could. The boys are in different schools this year, but luckily the schools are right next to one another. Meet the teacher was on a Thursday night and school started the next morning. I really don't understand having the first day on a Friday, but no one asked for my opinion.


The boys are riding the bus to and from school this year. The picture above is my view from the front porch as they are getting on the bus. The neighbors dog sometimes hangs out with them as they wait. He is in the picture as well. On the first day I took them to school. They didn't want me to walk them to class, so I just dropped them off. I held back the tears until they were both out of the car. I can't believe they are so big. Anyway, I sat at the end of the drive that afternoon and waited for the bus. I had so much anxiety that first day. I couldn't wait for them to get home so I could hear all about their day. I could feel my heart jump within me when the bus pulled up and my boys were smiling so big as they exited the bus. The first day was a success and three weeks in things are still going great. I joined the PTO and we ordered shirts with the schools logo. This Friday we may go to the first high school football game of the season. I am looking forward to all the memories we will make as we settle in and make this house and community our home. Who knew God wanted us in Mississippi. I certainly didn't, but I feel so blessed to be where we are.

2 comments:

Danielle M. Scroggins said...

i'm so glad i could inspire you. :) it's good to know i'm not the only mommy holding back tears.

Kristina said...

Thanks for the inspiration. It is fun to share these moments with friends.